Things to Consider Before Joining the I-SPY 2 TRIAL
Before joining the I-SPY 2 TRIAL there are several things to consider.
You should understand what clinical trials are and what their purpose is. To find out more visit: www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/learningabout
You should understand all of the study procedures that you would need to complete as part of this trial. These include:
- Breast MRI Scans
- Breast Core Biopsies
- Research Blood Draws
- Receiving Chemotherapy Treatment Before Surgery (Neoadjuvant Treatment)
- Possibly Receiving an Investigational Drug as Part of Your Treatment
You should understand the costs related to procedures while participating in this trial.
Who will pay for my MRI scans?
1) First MRI scan: Your insurance will cover the cost of the MRI unless it is done for study purposes only.
2) Second MRI scan: The study will cover the cost of this MRI.
3) Third MRI scan: The study will cover the cost of this MRI.
4) Fourth MRI scan: Your insurance will cover the cost of the MRI unless it is done for study purposes only.
The study will pay for up to 3 of the 4 MRI scans. One or more of the MRI scans is done as part of your standard treatment and will be billed to your insurance company. MRI scans that are billed to your insurance company may result in an out-of-pocket-cost to you.
Who will pay for my core biopsies?
1) First Core Biopsy: The study will cover the cost of the core biopsy if it was done only for the purposes of this study.
2) Second Core Biopsy: The study will cover the cost of the core biopsy.
Who will pay for my research blood draws?
The study will cover the cost of the blood collected for research in this study.
Who will pay for the investigational drug that I may be assigned?
The study will cover the cost of the investigational drug if you have been assigned to receive one. Any other medications will be the responsibility of you and/or your health plan/insurance company.
Who will pay for travel for the extra trips I may have to the hospital?
There will be ways the study can help reduce the cost related to travel or parking for study visits. Please ask your study doctor or coordinator for more details.